Friday, April 3, 2009

on meeting the master

Inspired by my reading earlier this week I’ve been working quite a bit with the Tarot of the Master. The Seven of Batons struck such a chord with me and I’m feeling more and more drawn to working with this deck. For those who are not familiar with the deck, it was created and published in Turin in 1893 and originally called ‘I Naibi di Giovanni Vacchetta’. The edition I have has been republished and coloured by Lo Scarabeo in 2002. The original was black and white. Because Giovanni Vacchetta was known as the "Master of Design’ at Albertina Academy in Turin, the deck has been titled ‘Tarot of the Master’. I’ve always been attracted to some of the historical decks, in particular the delightful Ancient Italian tarot, but have struggled with the non-scenic pips. What I love about the Vacchetta deck is that the pips are illustrated, not in the modern RWS style, but they are quite elaborate compared to some of the other historical decks, and provide enough symbolism for me to really connect with the images. It’s quite different to any deck I’ve worked with in the past….and that is just what I need right now.

I thought I’d have a little bit of a ‘chat’ with the Master and see if the two of us should work together for awhile.

So, what do you have to offer as a deck Master Vacchetta? Eight of Coins (Denari). This tells me that the deck will be great for helping me to make connections between things. The keyword is ‘writing’ but I see this card overall as being able to bring together information from different sources in order to make sense of things. It’s as if the thread connecting the coins is alive with energy and excitement. I feel really excited when I see this card. So perhaps Master Vacchetta can offer me an exciting way to deepen my knowledge of tarot.



What can you help me to learn about tarot? Caval di Bastone (Knight of Batons). The keyword on this card is ‘travel’ and so immediately I get the sense that I can learn that tarot is a learning journey. This deck may help me to accept that it’s not about the destination but rather the journey, that I’ll never ‘master’ the tarot, rather I’ll be a student for life. Also, given that the knight is dressed as a jester I think it could be a reminder to have fun with the tarot, not to take it all too seriously and make it all academic. Perhaps this deck can help me to have more fun with tarot.

How should I approach using this deck? Ten of Cups. This is an interesting rendition of the Ten of Cups. My first thought is that the Master may be a little possessive of me. I get the suggestion from this image that he would like me to put all my other decks away on the shelf and use him alone. What I think he’s saying is that he is, after all, the cup with the most to offer. Why would I need any other decks? The keyword on this card is ‘order’, which also says to me that I need to actually work with this deck and systematically go through the cards and focus on all the details, rather than just skimming the surface. I feel like there are definitely treasures to be discovered in these cards.

Should I use this deck when reading for others? Seven Bastoni. Here is the card that inspired me to be having this ‘conversation’ with the Master. So, is it my destiny to be using this deck to read for others? I get a sense that working with this deck will help me to give readings that are more in line with what I believe tarot to be about and in some ways, to be more true to myself. I also think it could be saying that my readings for others with this deck can help them to realise their own destinies….which kind of fits in with some ideas I was having…..how very interesting!

Not to be negative, but what are your limitations as a deck? Fante di Coppa (Page of Cups). You’ll just tell me whatever I want to hear. A bit of a romantic hey? You just want life to be beautiful and happy and filled with love…….well, I think I can live with that.

Finally, can you give me a card that will sum up our relationship of working together? Four of Batons. Well, it looks like it’s going to be very fruitful. We’ll have a secure base and then from that we can grow. The keyword is ‘patience’ so I guess that’s a good reminder that I’ll need to be patient with you as we begin working together……and you’ll need to be patient with me as well.

Any last thoughts….? Temperance. Wow, this is just about my favourite card in this deck. The keyword is ‘moderation’ which reminds me to take it easy and not overdo things. Sometimes when I discover a new deck I work with it so much I end up feeling sick of it. This card is a good reminder that although I’ll use this deck for my PDR’s and even for readings, I need to not overdo things and keep using my other decks as well. I love the way that the figure on this card looks back over her shoulder at the water. It says to me that while it’s fine to reflect on things and look within, you still have to make sure that the day to day stuff of life is getting done too….like feeding the kids and cleaning the house. The key I expect is in finding a balance between both.

OK, so I’m very excited. I’ve also discovered a colour-in version of this deck which will be a great way to spend time with the cards and really discover all the details. So, from now on I’ll be working primarily with ‘The Master’ but still using my other decks as well. I’m certainly looking forward to the journey.

3 comments:

  1. I've wanted this deck since I first saw scans of it last October. :) I think it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely deck interview! Seems like you two will be getting on like a house on fire. I look forward to more readings with this bello italiano. Does he have any single brothers? lol x

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Lisa!! Pretty deck and I Like your conversation.

    ReplyDelete